Friday, August 19, 2011

Gary Wedlund, a little note on OPENINGs

Just a little note to let everyone know what I'm currently working on.

I'm doing two novels at once.  This is kind of new for me, and it requires a bit of head maintanence.
The first novel is a sequel to Satan's Daughter Goes to Pittsburgh, called, Satan's Daughter Walks to Portugal. It's an urban fantasy, maybe paranormal romance (depending on my final direction). Let me give you the opening lines on it:

 
The police lady did a spectacular job ignoring me as I tapped echoes off the marble floor with my candy-apple, Christian Louboutin booties. She stood behind a humongous, donut-shaped counter, scanning pages on a clipboard, not saying anything, even though we were alone. It was three in the morning--which was chill and dark and pretty nice without annoying humans running into me and honking horns--or would have been if I’d not been trailing sulfur plumes out my ears.

The second one is a zombie novel, completely different, and much more somber, and for a different audience:

  
The blast knocked down Ernie Johnson’s corn. All of it: Whoosh! It’s lying out there, pointing north, in the direction of county road like a hundred thousand one-way signs; I can see it past the lee of the hill. Some caught, but patches of ground were still wet from a lucky morning shower, and the flames didn’t stick past an acre. Soon as it quit, I sent Marla out there with the pickup, hoping to fill the bed with two-week-early ears. She just drove back, went straight for the garage, dented the back wall with the bumper and dropped the door.

Oh, and at Context, in a week, at 2:00, on Sunday, I plan on being on a panel, speaking to the issue of how to open a novel.  Just thought you might like to see some of the openings I'm currently working on, and maybe come to Context to hear the comments on how to pull one off.

No comments:

Post a Comment